Looking for the final resting place of my great-grandfather

Common discussions on Isonzo front

Looking for the final resting place of my great-grandfather

OdgovorNapisal/-a Josie07m11 » 04.09.2012 14:27:20

Hi. I am trying desperately to find out where my great grandfather Paolo Sulfaro was buried after dying on Mt Vodice in the 10th battle of the Isonzo. I know he died on May 22, 1917. He was in the italian army and in the 248th infantry. I'd be so grateful if anybody could help me locate where he could possibly be buried or how i could contact somebody that would know.

Thank you,

Josephine
josiemangani@gmail.com
Josie07m11
član

OdgovorNapisal/-a aljaz » 05.09.2012 09:04:58

Hello Josephine! Regarding on where he died - my opinion- there is strong possibility that your great grandfather lies burried in ossuary on Oslavje (if the body was recovered of course). That ossuary is placed next to Gorica (Gorizzia) on the hill near the village of Pevma in Italy.

Some pics:

http://forum.prohereditate.com/viewtopic.php?t=3893

http://maps.google.si/maps?hl=sl&bav=on ... CB0Q8gEwAA

The ossuary was build in 1938, and contain the exhumated remains of soldiers of all smaller war cemetaries of that area. On the walls of ossuary there are written names of fallen and burried there, but there's no guarantee that your ancestor is actually mentioned somewhere (let's hope he is), since many of the fallen remained unidentified due to poor identification abbilities of that time (ID tags of Italian army were made as tin capsules containing the piece of paper). Many of the fallen were found long after the war ended, many remains are still scaterred on battlefields.

Maybe there is someone to check it out for you, or try to contact the ossuary directly.
Al' jaz - al' ti
aljaz
član

Kraj: Steiermark

OdgovorNapisal/-a Josie07m11 » 05.09.2012 14:35:36

Thanks for your reply! I have looked at the photos of the Ossuary and noticed that there was no Sulfaro in the 'S' area. So I guess he was not identified. But if that's the only area that it is likely he is buried then as you say he is probably buried there as an unknown. Thank you again! :)
Josie07m11
član

Vrni se na Common

Kdo je na strani

Po forumu brska: 0 registriranih uporabnikov in 3 gostov