Map of Humcic, 588 and Seneca.

Common discussions on Isonzo front

Map of Humcic, 588 and Seneca.

OdgovorNapisal/-a Hauptmann » 17.07.2011 08:32:49

Hello everybody,

I have noticed that on the "From Rombon to Mengore" map Humcic is mentioned as a place where remains from the trenches can be found. Also I believe it once was an offical outdoor museum. The foundation in Kobarid tells me it is no longer an official outdoor museum and that the site is somewhat dangerous to visit. Did any of you go there recently? I have seen pictures of a sign with a map of Humcic. Is that still there and does anybody have a good resolution picture of that sign so I can read what is on the sign?

I am also interested in any maps or sites on Seneca and 588 (because of Kokoschka's painting on 588 below).
http://www.austrianfineart.com/index.ph ... c&moreid=8
I think this must be Kote 588 south of Mengore?

Thank you!!!
Hauptmann
član

Kraj: Holland

OdgovorNapisal/-a Josef Knorr » 19.07.2011 08:26:56

Slika

This is picture from 2005. Next year the table was gone and also all direction marks.
The path was still visible. But... that was five years ago...
Josef Knorr
k.u.k. Gartenheld

Kraj: na zidu

OdgovorNapisal/-a Hauptmann » 19.07.2011 15:58:01

Thank you very much! That is an excellent picture i can use.
Hauptmann
član

OdgovorNapisal/-a Josef Knorr » 19.07.2011 17:31:44

Josef Knorr
k.u.k. Gartenheld

Kraj: na zidu

OdgovorNapisal/-a Hauptmann » 20.07.2011 15:41:21

Thank you again! I think I will go and check Humcic out.
Hauptmann
član

OdgovorNapisal/-a Gabor » 28.07.2011 22:11:31

Well, you can try it. I've made the first half of it two times - because of several reasons I couldn't get to the top -, but I think it is reachable.

For the last time I've been there a month ago. The table with the map is missing. I've also been there in 2009, then the path inidcated in yellow on the table (which goes to the so called "Dwarf valley") was unusable further to the top because it was completely washed down to form an abyss.

The other (red with the cavernas) couldn't be found under the bushes a month ago, so you have two choices.
You may try to find the path the following ways:

1. From the parking place* after crossing the stream on the small bridge you go right (here was the table) until you reach the T shape junction. The right branch is still marked to the Dwarf valley, but you go on the left one, until you reach a small meadow. There's a ruined house on its other side, you will have to round it from the left. There you will find the path going down to the valley (to the right). When you reach the botton, you follow the stream in the streambed -if you're lucky, you can find the once was path going upwards.If you can't, just follow the streambed keeping left. When you find yourself in a position where a huge rock blocks your way, you climb up on the left side until you find a narrow little path (cca. 15 meters upwards on a very steep slope). You follow it to the right, until you find a sign "Hunsky potok". It is on the top of the rock I've mentioned above.

2. You go up on the bicycle track that leads to the Javorscek. Clearly visible on geopedia.si. It is that V shape thing on the upper left corner of the map. As you can see, a path goes from the bend towards the Humcic. You can find on your left from this track the narrow path that goes to Hunsky potok.

As you can see on the map, if you choose this option, there is a junction before you reach Hunsky potok, that leads up to a gun emplacement. The path was visible in 2009, but hardly. You have to search for a mountain trail mark (red circle around a white dot) on a great (beech?) tree high above your head, on the left side. A bit further up on the left, you will see a big rock. The emplacement is inside it. The path zig-zags to it.

When you are at the sign Hunsky potok, try to find the path on the slope. It is on the same level, you have to find lumbers placed horizontally to the slope, leading to a small rock. Hardly visible under te fallen leaves. When you step onto it, it will be clearly visible. You follow it for about 100 meters, where you find a caverna with sign and ruined steps leading upwards:
http://www.hribi.net/slika.asp?pot=50952

After you climb up, you will find yourself in front of a small via ferrata, the track is secured with a wire-rope. After crossing the narrow part, you will find yourself in front of a tunnel. It is good if you have a lamp, but if not, the rope keeps going through the tunnel It is a Z shaped thing, first you turn right to the dark, then after some 15-20 meters left where you will be able to see the light, finally right again. There are bats in the tunnel, probably you can see or hear them.

After the tunnel you go a bit down on the trail to a small caverna on the other side of a streambed. There you have to climb a small, 170-180 cm high rockwall, then follow the trail to a ruined wooden cabin. I think the path leads to the top upwards on its left, but this is the point where I had to turn back.
From here my friends ran down on an unmarked trail to the ruined house mentioned in the 1st paragraph, so probably you can choose this way down. It is much shorter.

If you can go to the top, I'd be glad if you wrote the remaining parts.

*The parking place is on the left side by the bank of the Soca river, or in front of the fence of a building. The latter is shady.

Hope this helps.
Gabor
član

OdgovorNapisal/-a Hauptmann » 29.07.2011 12:12:55

Thank you Gabor. It does seem difficult but I will see what i can do. If paths are washed away it might be even impossible to reach anything.
Hauptmann
član

OdgovorNapisal/-a Gabor » 29.07.2011 21:53:59

You're welcome. I think you can make it from the side where the cavernas are. Option 2 is the best nd easiest way I think.
And to descend in the streambed might be challenging a bit too.
The greatest problem is to find the path, because the place is quite abandoned.

There's a gun-emplacement on the side of the Svinjak too, with a beautiful view to the Bovec-basin. Also worth a try.

And, if you go there too, the museum in Kobarid surely worth a visit.
Gabor
član

OdgovorNapisal/-a Gabor » 29.07.2011 22:00:51

Ooops, I missed! Option 2., the V shaped thing is of course in the upper right corner of the map.
Gabor
član

OdgovorNapisal/-a Hauptmann » 04.08.2011 08:44:37

Gabor napisal/-a:And, if you go there too, the museum in Kobarid surely worth a visit.

Thanks, I have been there three times allready so i might not visit it at this trip.
Hauptmann
član

Naslednja

Vrni se na Common

Kdo je na strani

Po forumu brska: 0 registriranih uporabnikov in 2 gostov